Coconut oil has been all the rage for a long time now. The health benefits of coconut oil are excellent because lauric acid, which is present in heavy concentrations in coconut oil, can inhibit the growth of many pathogenic microorganisms, thus boosting the immune system, You can use it to cook with, on your skin, as a carrier oil when using essential oils and as a healing ointment. Lisa Bronner put out a great PDF on the uses of coconut oil, see attachment below.
7 ways I know coconut oil can help you and your family are:
1. Excellent for cooking on high heat. Coconut oil does have a coconut taste which sometimes does not compliment the foods you are trying to cook. In that case, use avocado oil which has a much milder taste. These oils are geared for high heat, unlike olive oil which is for low eat or used as a drizzle.
2. Helps with dry skin and rashes. I often use coconut oil as a carrier oil with lavender oil to help with dry rash skin. It works amazing. Rub it on your pregnant belly and it will help with dry itchy skin.
3. Good for dogs’ skin, digestion and coat. Putting a teaspoon, a day in your dogs food with help their skin and coat as well as digestion.
4. Good for removing make-up.
5. Softens cuticles, apply before bed to nail beds
6. Can enhance recipes by cutting butter in half and use coconut oil for the other half.
7. Great fat for babies after 6 months of age. I made sweet potatoes and added 1 to 2 teaspoons of coconut oil per potato for Jake’s homemade baby food.
Great coconut oil resources:
Garden of Life